Origin Story part two.

The Reynolds family was the most traveled family in our beautiful westside Detroit neighborhood-- or so we were told by my friends.  I'm not sure about that but I do know many of my parents vacation breaks were not spent at home.  I didn't know until much later that my parents were quite a bit older than my friends parents--and those younger families were looking to MY parents to see what was possible.  But as we expanded our own horizons we found even more families that enjoyed the luxury of second homes "up north" or "down south".  Families who spent summer vacations 'by the lake' and winter vacations hunting in the woods.  Families who owned boats and motor homes and other toys.  Wealth made possible by good jobs in the factories of Chrysler, Ford and GM and the industries that fed them.  Detroit was a boom town and we were its jewels.  No other American city had higher rates of black home ownership than Detroit and everyone felt that pride.
My Dad started spending weekends hunting with Mr. Kendrick in Woodland Park,  Michigan, a small country town deeded to African Americans after WWII and soon he and my Mom purchased land and a mobile home there.  Later they would build a home and retire using that home as a base from which to branch out.  My parents were both 58 when they retired my senior year of high school; again made possible by the "30 and out" policies that men like my Dad fought for through the unions.  With time and disposable income, my parents took advantage of Amtrak deals exploring the whole of the country.  They didn't have to know someone in the towns they traveled to.  They just went and made friends once they arrived.
 Then, following the Kendricks again they discovered Florida and the snowbird life.
  Every year while I was in college and for some time after, I would either drive down to Florida with them and fly back to school or fly down to Florida and drive them back.  Once Raymond and I got married we just continued this tradition until my parents purchased a home in Lakeland and ended their birding.  I watched them take part-time and temp. jobs to make travel money; never too proud to earn an honest buck.  Heck, Mom would sell Bar BQ dinners up north to build up her travel fund! Once they made what they wanted they'd take another trip.  They were my heroes and role models on how to hustle and live with flair while still being prudent.  Blessed to have 20 years of retired life in Florida until the next phase of their lives began they always seemed to set the trend.  I watched them trust Holy Spirit to know when to stay put and when to move and He never lead them astray. 
In part three the 4 Musketeers are born.  Stay tuned!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Chop

Me, Myself, and I

From San Antonio to San Antonio and back again