Our next trip awaits!!!




Dad and I are busy getting ready for our next adventure. Ok. I'm the one whose busy while Dad is chilling. But we can't wait to set sail on our 4 day Disney cruise to the Bahamas.  
Image result for disney cruise logo
One might think packing for a four day vacay wouldn't take much energy but you would be sadly mistaken.  Whether you are traveling overnight or for a month, certain necessities must go with.  Those necessities take up a whole small suitcase so, be prepared.  I always plan for the worst and hope for the best that way I am rarely disappointed.
I meticulously pack using a detailed checklist of items Dad needs.  This ranges from his favorite night cap to toothpicks.  No item is too small to be catalogued and packed.  If it truly matters at home then chances are it will matter in another location.  This is a task that takes days to accomplish well so, start early and save yourself considerable stress.

We took this trip on another Disney ship two years ago.  Here is how I learned to upgrade this time:  First I made sure we booked a handicapped room with a balcony.  The standard rooms on Disney ships are really roomy BUT aren't equipped to hold lots of equipment (Did you know that standard balcony rooms on the Disney Magic have TWO bathrooms?!).  Second, I contacted Disney's Special Services team and requested an elevated toilet seat, bed rail and the location of ALL of the family bathrooms.  This way I hope to avoid the dirty looks I got the last time I took Dad into the men's bathroom. Lol

Family bathrooms on Disney's Wonder



Next, plan out your travel path, arrival times, snacks, bathroom breaks and parking.  Dad does really well with car travel but I have to plan stops at about 2-3 hour intervals to stretch legs and snack. Oh and snacking is constant so keep healthy and not so messy items at hand.  

Once we make it to Port Canaveral I'll expect the Disney magic to kinda kick in.  The porters typically whisk away your bags and you are left with parking your vehicle (don't forget the handicapped placard) and making your way through security and check in. If you've pre-boarded online check-in should be a breeze.  Then its up the gang plank mate to your buffet style lunch.  Follow directions for where the handicapped safety briefing is.  Once that's over you are free to roam about or enjoy your room.

Parking is not cheap so budget accordingly.  Last time we used an off site shuttle service run by veterans which was wonderful but Dad was much more mobile then.  This time we plan to park at the port.
2019 pricing

Image result for pirates of the caribbean logo        So, ahoy mate. Stay tuned. There's always more to come!..

Comments

  1. Awesome planning good tips luv it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope to share more planning tips in the future.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to the next adventure "Queen".😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you Eileen. You know I am always plotting and planning!

      Delete
  3. Preparation and planning make for a pleasant adventure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Spontaneity has its place as well but planning, ah planning...

      Delete
  4. Love this! This blog is much needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for saying that. Feel free to share with anyone you think could benefit from it.

      Delete
  5. Great!!
    I love this blog. I wish my dad was still with us. I really like the handicap info and reminder tag, I always forget mine...
    Blessings too you, have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone for your comments! I really do hope this site can be a touchstone for caregivers and their family members who really want to get out there and explore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes planning is essential in our home. Sylvia started on Dad's checklist/packing at least 4 days prior to leaving for vacation. Making sure that he is comfortable no matter the destination.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Chop

Me, Myself, and I

From San Antonio to San Antonio and back again