Trust in the Lord

I don't remember bible verses being quoted much in my home.  In fact, my parents weren't regular church goers when I was young.  What I do remember was my aunt Charlotte quoting one particular scripture EVERY time she broke bread with us (which wasn't too often).  It was Proverbs 3:5-6.  As a child I absorbed her words; maybe it was because of the reverence with which she spoke them.  But I hid those words deep in my heart.  And I learned to trust Holy Spirit because of them.  There have been dozens of instances where Holy Spirit, in His whisper voice said, 'do this or, don't do that' and each and every time I have been saved from something detrimental.  Like when we hesitated in booking an overseas trip only to live through the death of my brother, a niece and a nephew the same month we would have been away.
Today was no exception.  Dad wasn't feeling his best but he powered through as he always does.  We discussed what to do about his next scheduled Adult Day Care visit.  He really likes going but we weren't sure how he would feel. Should we keep him home and get a sitter for our date day? Should we cancel our plans altogether?  Things are often hour by hour with Dad so we stay flexible.  As we got Dad to bed, we laid  hands on him and prayed for his full recovery and for his peace to return.  He leaned into me and I leaned into God and we were free to let it go.  Just as we were sitting quietly, the phone rings.  Day care was cancelled due to plumbing issues.  Answer given.  Situation settled.  Home he would stay where he needs to be to recover.  We reworked our date day appointment with minimal effort knowing one of us would be with Dad at all times.  We gave Him control and He gave us our direction.   It's simple and hard all at the same time but it is true; When you trust Him, He will direct your path.  My aunt Charlotte, mighty woman of God that she was, gave me one of the greatest gifts you can give a child--the Word.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Chop

Me, Myself, and I

From San Antonio to San Antonio and back again