Disney cruising with Dad-Day 1

If, by chance, you like to cruise and you haven't tried Disney I would highly recommend taking a look at what they have to offer.  Whoa!!!  Wait a minute Sylvia.  I don't have small children, I don't follow all things Disney.  I know my kids are gonna have a ball but, what's in it for the adults?  Why are their prices higher than most cruise lines? Is it really worth it?  YES!! The Disney cruise experience IS really superior to other cruises I have tried (with the exception of Royal Caribbean maybe). The old adage, "You get what you pay for" is kinda true with cruises.  Bargain basement prices typically mean bargain basement experiences.  That being said, I really do believe there is a cruise out there to fit most people so, try several until you find the one that fits your taste, style and budget.
As stated in a prior post, I contacted Disney.com Special Services department and found them to be very responsive.  The only item missing from my requests was an elevated toilet seat which, it turns out, we really didn't need.  The hostess for our room was so helpful we really were able to relax and enjoy everything our spacious room had to offer. Items were set up perfectly for wheel chair accessibility which made transfers, dressing, meals in our room and thus, caregiving so very easy.

Speaking of meals, did I mention that lunch is ready for you the minute you board the ship? And for a foodie like me, quality matters.  Fresh seafood? (shrimp, stone crab) check! Fresh fruits and vegetables? check! The food quality on a Disney ship is top notch.  It was so good, we managed to eat twice; first in one of the formal dining rooms then at the Cabana buffet; remember that vacation calories simply do not count!

Once our bellies were full we made our way to the mandatory safety class which basically consisted of how not to get tangled in your life vest;  Disney is a master at making informative things fun.   We got back to our room and I unpacked everything. I find that if I totally unpack I can feel at home in that space which lets me mentally unwind.


Next, we got dressed for dinner and made our way to Tiana's place, a New Orleans themed restaurant in the aft (back) of the ship.  Yup, Tiana was there to greet us at the entrance which just jump started the fun!  Three things to know for your first Disney dining experience: 1) Disney pre-assigns your dining rooms and dining times. Each dining room is thematically different and you rotate each night with your servers.  So once they find out your likes (and dislikes) you never have to mention them again.  It sounds rigid and a little creepy but, on the other hand, you never have to worry about missing any of the unique dining experiences. 2) Dining in the aft of the ship means you get to experience the full 'motion of the ocean' so to speak.  TAKE YOUR GINGER TABS OR DRAMAMINE! Even with that I managed to feel seasick after dinner; I'm guessing I wasn't the only one. 3) You will eat with the same people each night so pray in advance for great table mates; we certainly were blessed with some.  Then sit back and experience 'Disney magic' as your wait staff commence to going above and beyond to make sure your dining experience is magical.  You say you'd like to try two appetizers? No worries! Didn't like your entree'? Switch it out.  They go out of their way to cater to those with allergies to things like gluten.  Everything comes out just the way you ordered it which really is amazing once you realize they serve more than 2500 people. per. meal.  And if you don't ever want to experience formal dining, you can always pony up to the buffet in the Cabana dining room complete with ocean views.

Our turn down service, since it was Valentine's day after all, consisted of chocolates and swan towels.  I'm sorry, but you can't help but smile when you see how much effort is put into every detail.
It took a lot of deep breathing (with nausea bags close at hand) but I managed to get both of us ready for bed without spilling the beans.  It seemed like the captain was in a hurry to get to Nassau!  It wasn't the easiest first night but we made it!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Chop

Me, Myself, and I

From San Antonio to San Antonio and back again