Passports Crave Stamps

Do you have your passport dear reader?  If not, whhhhhhy?  What, pray tell, are you waiting for?Where around the world aren't you going that has been calling to you to visit, minister etc?  I have this really cute purse that I purchased from a young designer a few years ago that is just a simple hobo style purse really.  Nothing more than a lot of floppy fabric, some chain and some leather.  But what I was drawn to was the print on the fabric.  Cleverly emblazoned on the bag are many of the major cities around the world that I have always dreamed of visiting.

 To be fair, I have been blessed to visit a few of the cities listed.  But the vast majority are ones on my short list that have yet to be discovered by the explorer known as Sylvia ( I know; millions of people already live there but we have yet to encounter each other 😉.  And I say that with all humility 😌)  Just THINK of the stories that have not been written by you. I have committed to pay for the passports of each and every niece and nephew that wants to travel abroad-so far, only two have taken me up on the offer-because I believe that it's hard to make enemies when you break bread in someone else's country. And no, it is not prohibitively expensive to travel abroad IF you re-prioritize a few of the domestic expenses that can tie us all down. One niece said she wanted to be 'rich' like me so she could travel.  I advised her to take a little break from the hair ($600), nail ($40) and designer purse ($250) circuit and she'd be surprised at how quickly she could afford a plane ticket.  One of my nieces is heading to Ghana this year and is soooo excited to get her passport she can hardly wait.  One nephew traveled to Ghana on a wing and a prayer a couple of years ago and had the time of his life meeting family he'd only heard about.  Another nephew travels first class abroad frequently for business AND pleasure and is quite savvy about places that would give me pause.  Another niece traveled solo to an island destination and made friends for life. And my great nieces, who are only 7 and 3 took flight from Boston to Florida for their first time just to visit us (and see Mickey).  I am so proud of all of them for getting OUT THERE and being present.  If you are nervous and need travel companions, there are all types of groups who welcome the solo traveler into their midst so that shouldn't hinder you.  I do hope that other family members and you dear reader will soon follow the path abroad while that little blue book known as a U.S. passport is still seen as a beacon to all it encounters.  The only thing you have to lose are your inhibitions and your prejudices.
*Word is, Cuba is now off the list for Americans.  Pity. I got to visit last July and I am so glad I did*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Chop

Me, Myself, and I

From San Antonio to San Antonio and back again