Life and Death are in the Tongue Sylvia

We all mess up.  We yell when silence would be the best option.  We speak out of turn thus speaking foolishly.  We mindlessly speak death over a situation, circumstance or person when, clearly, life would be the better option.  We force things to happen instead of allowing God to handle the obstacle.  (we, by the way definitely means 'I').  This reminds me of the countless times when my tongue created problems I didn't have before I carelessly let it loose.  There are many people still nursing wounds that I caused with my rapier tongue.  And to what end?  Someone got 'read', someone else got cut and so no one got healed.  Here are a few strategies I am working on incorporating into my repertoire to harness that bucking colt:
1.  Hum.  There is no doubt the other person will know something is brewing but it will diffuse the bomb. It creates a vibration in your head that will eventually distract you. Hopefully.
2. Smile.  There's another one that's easy to employ but may be misconstrued.  Use this one judiciously.  Some may take it as a threat display.
3.  Turn around and.walk.away.  Sometimes harder but crucial given that more and more people perceive standing your ground as a threat.
4.  Count to ten. I have not mastered that one yet but it's worth a shot. Whatever it takes to slowly decrease the adrenaline coursing through your system is worth a try.  It is almost never a good idea to react verbally when you are  in your feels (or the reptilian brain known as the amygdala) because reason has flown the coop; give the chicken time to return to the roost.
5.  Immediately extend a gracious act to the offender.  This completely catches them and you off guard enough that a new way of being comes into view.  This strategy is a bit disorienting at first but really leaves you feeling great later.  It's probably the closest thing to a "win-win" you will get.

I am not sure who this blog post is for besides me but I hope it helps someone who has been struggling in the wake of a destructive tongue.  Lets commit together to try to dig fewer holes that we have to climb out of later.  Sticks and stones break bones.  Misspoken words leave wounds that feaster and last a life time.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Chop

Me, Myself, and I

From San Antonio to San Antonio and back again