Invest in our Most Vulnerable

I have always admired adults who sow into the lives of the old, young and vulnerable of our society.  To me it seems like there is no better investment of time, energy or resources than to serve others because, honestly, there but for the grace of God go any one of us.  I get to serve with amazing men and women at Life Church who routinely stand in the gap for single moms, widows, folks without a current address, those who are food insecure, many many many who are under resourced, children from struggling homes, those in the throws of substance addiction and scores who are spiritually lost and physically spent.  It is a privilege and an honor to do my small part in Kingdom work along side my amazing brothers and sisters in Christ.  I wasn't sure what 'retiring' early would look like but I for sure knew it meant I would have more time for Kingdom work.  One of the biggest reasons we chose our current church was because of their commitment and heart for local and global communities.  Our church has other campuses in central America and the Caribbean and routinely partners with other churches in Africa and the U.S. but it's in our own backyard that I feel most led to be of use.  Today I helped interview candidates for our Certified Nursing Assistant grant program.  Yesterday, I met with the leads of our after school tutoring and mentoring program.  Next week I hope to meet with one of our Life Group dynamos about how we can contribute to her class on life's big transitions.  I've been especially busy consulting with caregivers as they walk through changes in their loved ones and the new roles they may have to play.  This past Sunday there was a Sisterhood conference meeting.  Next Sunday there will be a Life Group leadership gathering.  Keeping god children and nieces and nephews lifted up with  texts and phone calls just to check in and offer support keeps me fulfilled on a daily basis.  What a glorious time of life this is!!  My Mom once told me that her 60's were her best decade.  I'm not quite there yet but I can see a glimpse of what she meant. 
Dad and Lyn, Caregiver extraordinaire
Me and Jennie, Class of '19

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Chop

Me, Myself, and I

From San Antonio to San Antonio and back again