Three Graduations, a Release and an Engagement!

What a blessing it was to be able to travel home for truly wonderful reasons.  In contrast, by this time last year, I'd been to Detroit five times to funeralize loved ones; What a difference a year makes!
My family means the world to me and I try to be as present as one can living 1100 miles away.  But my family is huge so, some things I can attend and sadly, many I cannot.  But when we get together it's always wonderful (even at the funerals).  And this visit, I got to see the city through the eyes of my nieces which was a new experience for me-one which I will cherish for a long time!!
First off,  Dorothy's refrain, "there's no place like home" rang true for me.  There's just a way you settle down and settle in at 'home' that's next to impossible anywhere else.  During my three day visit in the "D" I thoroughly enjoyed  lavishing love on nieces (and one nephew) all the while being dazzled by the changes in my city.  Detroit is a jewel in the north that most Americans will never experience.  And that is truly a shame dear reader because, at 318 or so years old Detroit is a grand dame that has watched this nation unite, almost fall apart and then unite again.  My city still fascinates and surprises me.  Just when I think I've seen it all, there is a new pocket opening itsself up to reinterpretation and exploration.  I got to rediscover Cass corridor where the venerable Wayne State University is housed, the Detroit Institute of Art (one of the best in the country) and the historic National Bank building all in the guise of enjoying well cooked meals and seeing ancient art through virtual reality technology. It felt wonderful taking the passengers position while my nieces crafted experiences (and picked up checks. GLORY!).  I felt spoiled, useful, considered, integral; all of the things a needy aunt wants to feel.   Theres's nothing like family and no place like home!
Khalaya (GVSU Grad 2019), Khiyon, Me and Sylvia

Angela Marie and Me

James, Me and Angela (CHS grad 2019)

Ebony (dtr Nia BHS grad 2019) and Me
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Chop

Me, Myself, and I

From San Antonio to San Antonio and back again