Are You a Value Add?

We all want more for our, money, time, experience.  What we touch, see, taste should ostensibly add to our lives.  Why else 'spend' on that thing?  Sometimes we shop with the express intention that what we purchase or expend energy on will make us feel better about ourselves or our current sitch.  That item should add something to our lived experience.  When we travel we want new memories, not reruns.  We've all had that sinking feeling when it appears we've wasted our money on a bad meal, our time on a really bad movie or spent much too much time in a truly awful conversation that seems to lead nowhere.  As I age (gracefully, Lol) I have less and less patience for experiences that do not add value to my life.  Maybe this is the true benchmark moment for those of us that have more life behind us than in front of us; I simply cannot tolerate wasting time on 'blah'.  What I'm also recognizing is my affinity to not only acknowledge those individuals that add value to my life but those I add value to.  And I pray I am more consistently a "value add" than a subtraction.  Take for instance the last time you were at the grocers.  How easy would it have been to wave through the person with a few less items than you?  Or to smile and ask about the day of the cashier?  What about chatting up the butcher for no reason other than to break up his monotonous day.  Have you offered to pay for the groceries of the elder in line?  What about encouraging the student bagging groceries after school to "keep at it.  The day will be over soon".  Making a connection with people that they will remember positively the next time you see them means you've added value.  As a Christian, I am called to be the light and salt in someone elses day.  If I don't make a dark time brighter or pleasantly season a bad experience then I am not adding value.  OK. I have a two-part exercise for you this week.  Part one: Take note of those people who add value to your week.  Learn their names.  Look out for them if it's a place you frequent and make sure to let them know they added value to your day.  Part two:  Look for those people who have nothing but worry lines on their face.  Who seem too busy to make eye contact or acknowledge you.  Then proceed to go out of your way to speak kindly, act patiently, smile broadly, share your name, give a genuine compliment, tip generously etc. In other words, add value.  It is the best feeling to bring a bit of joy to someone who desperately needs it.  Who knows what ripple effect your kindness will have on those around you?  You will gain more than you could ever lose in this transaction and you will greatly expand your hearts capacity in the process.
Add Value At Starbucks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Chop

Me, Myself, and I

From San Antonio to San Antonio and back again