Detroit versus Everybody


  • See.  Here's the prickly truth about Detroiters. They know that if you don't have anything good to say about Detroit then you must be from one of the suburbs.  Or Ohio.  Either way, your opinion is just that.  My 318 year old hometown is a complicated mix of pretty much everything most folks can imagine.  Since the "D" is in my blood though I can hardly be totally objective.  BUT, I haven't lived there for over 30 years so I can only know it the way a mom might know the child she gave up for adoption; I recognize her but I'm shocked at how much she's changed.  All of my relatives brag freely about the amazing transformation taking place downtown while they also bemoan the fact that they, say, don't have street lights or that whole swaths of neighborhoods are blighted beyond recognition.  What can one do besides watch it all transmogrify?  It's like watching your child survive their  terrible teens;  you just pray they emerge from them somewhat healthy and not too scarred.  All that said, I jealously protect the reputation of my home town to outsiders.  My city has a complicated history but its my first love; It's a "D" thing and you probably wouldn't understand!  Case in point the Metro Detroit area  still mystifies my husband after 30 years.  He just cannot get over the multiple freeways and multi-lane streets and boulevards to say nothing about our infamous "Michigan lefts".  Nobody can even ATTEMPT to do it like we do in the grand lady known as the "D". Lol.  Dad always has a settled look on his face when he is back at home which just makes me smile ear to ear knowing the trip for him was worth all of the effort.  We had another cute little Airbnb situated in Ferndale so we could be near most of my West side relatives.  Dad got to see grands, great grands and great great grands from Indiana and practically from around the corner which touched him in ways I will never get to know.  We enjoyed cooking and eating and cooking and eating and sitting and laughing and... Then it was on to Livonia, Michigan for my 40th High School class reunion.  Talk about a hoot! We had a ball for two days reminiscing and telling tall tales.  It was a multi-year reunion which made it even more special but which also meant that I really couldn't recognize some folks without help. I am sure my classmates felt the same way about me with my short purple hair!  Anyway, we have all finally blissfully gotten to the age where it is no longer embarrassing to just simply ask, "So.  Who are you?" and laugh as you say it.   Raymond got to attend with me thanks to the services of Seniors Helping Seniors.  The cutest older lady came over to our hotel room to sit with Dad while he slept and that put us at ease as always.  I will forever love you Detroit and Lutheran High West (hats off to thee!) and nothing, no, nothing will ever change that...Even if I did have to give you up!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Chop

Me, Myself, and I

From San Antonio to San Antonio and back again